Food Revolution & The Great Vegan Experiment

It’s Food Revolution Day!

I feel like we need to break out into The Beatles right about now.

You say you got a real solution
Well, you know
We’d all love to see the plan

That Culinary Cutie Pie, Jamie Oliver, has got a solution and a plan all right.  Join him today over at www.FoodRevolutionDay.com.  He’s launched a worldwide discussion as part of his mission for better food and education for all!

You ask me for a contribution
Well, you know
We’re doing what we can

What will your Food Revolution Contribution look like today?  Will you visit a farmer’s market?  Cook a healthy meal with your family?  Join a Food Revolution Day event?  (For the latter, enter your zip code here and find an event near you!)

Jamie’s Takeaway of the Day:

We need to get back to basics and start thinking about where our food comes from.

Coincidentally, I’ve been mulling this over a lot lately.  The Big Owie has prevented me from pounding away at my computer at night.  As a result, I’ve become engrossed with my couch and documentaries on Netflix.  Food documentaries in particular.

I entered my documentary obsession as a part-time carnivore and dairy-lover, and I exited with The Great Vegan Experiment.

It’s a long story.  I will try to be brief because it’s Saturday, and we need to start brainstorming our Food Revolution Festivities.

I started with Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.  Joe Cross, Aussie Entrepreneur and Film Maker, hauled his juicer and his overweight self to The Land of Junk Food aka The United States of America.  Joe was so sick and tired of being sick and tired with an autoimmune disease that he pledged to embark on a juice fast for 60 days.

Through his travels, he captured the attention of many an American junk food junkie, including a morbidly obese Midwestern Truck Driver who shared the same autoimmune disease.  60+ days later, Joe lost 100 lbs. and our truck driving friend lost 200.  They both were able to chuck their steroids when their autoimmune symptoms disappeared.

Ladies, I should also add here that Joe morphed into an Aussie HOTTIE.

Since the film, I’ve been having regular Green Juice Fantasies starring Joe Cross which are very 50 Shades of Grey.

(No, I haven’t read the book yet, but I imagine there’s food play in there somewhere.)

Next, I dove into Food Matters, Forks Over Knives, Ingredients, Food Fight, Food Beware: The French Organic Revolution and Food, Inc.  I recommend all of them, but the one that I passionately feel that every American must watch is Food, Inc.

I know, I know.  You don’t want to because you’ve heard that it’s “hard to watch”.  It’s precisely because of that reason that you need to see it.

Contrary to popular belief, Food, Inc. is not propaganda spread by vegetarians.  To the contrary, Food, Inc. advocates humane farming.  It’s not about carnivores vs. vegetarians.  It’s about making choices that can heal our bodies and our world.

You can stream all of these documentaries through Netflix.

Knowledge is power.  Empower yourself.  It’s Food Revolution Day!

**********

Oh, yeah.  I almost forgot.  Silly me.

Tomorrow kicks off The Great Vegan Experiment.

I’ve recruited 8 friends to get their glow on for 45 days.  No animal products.  That means no dairy, meat, or eggs.

Don’t be scared.  I didn’t choose this after watching Food, Inc.  You’re still safe to watch.  In fact, after my 45 days, should I choose to reintroduce meat into my diet, I feel better equipped to do so after watching Food, Inc.

No, I decided to try this somewhere between Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead and Food Matters.  But the inspiration that really caught my attention was that sassy bombshell, Kris Carr, over at www.CrazySexyLife.com.  Because what women doesn’t want to be crazy and sexy?

Kris’s definition of “crazy” = bold, out of the box, forward thinking, and status quo challenging.  “Sexy” = confident, in touch, whole, passionate, and conscious.

Oh, yeaaaahhhh!  Sign me up!  (And 8 friends, please!)

Have you heard of Kris Carr?  She was thrown one hell of a Life Lemon at the ripe young age of 31: a rare, incurable cancer.

But since she’s crazy, sexy, and sassy, she healed herself through a vegan diet and inspired the masses with her irresistible pizzaz along the way.  The woman glows, and I want to glow, too!

To be continued . . . .

**********

Coming this week . . . .

Meet the Vegans

**********

Oh.  I almost forgot one more thing.  Silly me.

Do you want to join us Vegan Vixens in our 45 days?  We’d love to cheer you on.

If you’re curious enough to give crazy sexy a whirl, just want to watch us get crazy sexy, or simply want to snag a few new seductively delish recipes, make sure to check out the Diary of a Late Bloomer facebook page and The Great Vegan Experiment pinterest page for more frequent updates.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. Carolyn says:

I’ll go vegan for 45 days with you! I haven’t had red meat in 27 years (wow, I’m old), but vegan is a bit scary. No turkey bacon? No chicken sandwiches? No greek yogurt? They will be missed. What do I do? :) The recipes on the Vegan interest page sound yummy but I know nothing about interest b/c I’m such a laggard!

2. Carolyn says:

Oops, meant my computer keeps spell checking pinterest. Got it now!

3. Late Bloomer says:

Carolyn, the Vegan Vixens welcome you with open arms! Yay!

I would say the best thing to do today is to purchase Crazy, Sexy, Diet and start reading. It’s more of a lifestyle than a “diet”. There’s no counting calories. It’s all about eating the healthiest that you can.

I ate all of the things you mentioned above fairly regularly. I particularly like Greek yogurt, although it definitely doesn’t like me. Dairy seems to be a real trigger for allergies.

Also, check the pinterest board for yummy recipes that I and my fellow vixens are posting. All you need to do is click those delish photos and they will take you to the recipes. Easy peasy!

Lastly, call me! :-)

Google “vegan”.

Stock up on healthy stuff. You are in farmer paradise in NY. Try to buy as much locally grown organic veg and fruit as you can!

4. You need to also watch Forks Over Knives. Very informative. We went vegan for Lent. Still not eating meat, but the dairy was oh so hard to say goodbye to. Can’t wait to read about your adventure.

• Late Bloomer says:

Amy, Yes! I saw that one, too. How did you feel during Lent? I”m so curious to hear about it!

• I’ll be honest. The first week was fine. I think the challenge of it kept us entertained. And all the fruits/vegetables was more than a cleansing process- which does make your body feel uh, lighter. But by about week 3, we both realized that we weren’t getting enough calories. You feel full because you’re eating a ton of fiber, but we were eating such low calorie/low fat foods, and it just wasn’t enough. I recommend using an app like Lose It, just to help you track the calories you’re taking in. The key (for me) to being successful was to plan, plan, plan!! Every Sunday morning, I would literally plan out breakfast/lunch/dinner for every day of the week. Breakfast was easy because I usually eat cereal or oatmeal. But I didn’t want to get stuck in a situation where I was hungry and didn’t have something good to choose from. I had fun packing my lunches every day, knowing I had plenty of good food to eat. Just had to ignore all the junk that works brings in on occasion.

It was a great experience overall, and we’re still adhering to plant-based eating about 90% of the time. Good luck!! I’d be happy to share a few of our favorite meals if you need some inspiration. I have a few lunch meals posted on my blog, and will try to load a few more for you.

• Late Bloomer says:

Amy,

THANK YOU for sharing! We’re tracking, sister. I sat down this morning and planned my little heart out. I am so not used to that! :-o I’m a spontaneous eater, but I knew that with this lifestyle, I needed to be more organized.

I checked out your blog earlier, and I already have new ideas! Yay! Those lunch boxes that you used are too fun!

I’m going to block out what I read about your week 3. ;-) I’m eating healthy oils, so I don’t think I’ll be as hungry. I’ve seen the Fire Engine 2 guy, and I thought he was a bit too militant about good fats. To each his own! :-)

I wish I had a Hunk to go into this with me. Lucky, lucky girl. :-)

5. I’m glad I’m not coming for Wine and Dine this year!

• Late Bloomer says:

Bwhahahahahahaha!!! I SWEAR TO YOU that I was chuckling about this very thing earlier. There are a lot of great veggie restaurants around town though. :-D

6. Mary-Alice D. aka Mom says:

So, how is it going? Are you ready to gnaw off your own leg yet like a trapped animal. Vegans always look hungry to me? All kidding aside, I think this is a lot better than when you went on that Macrobiotic diet and stunk up the house cooking seaweed! Blech!

• Late Bloomer says:

I’ve actually been far less hungry than usual. Day 5 and feeling fantastic! No seaweed this time around. :-p

7. Hi Michelle:
    I wandered over to your blog from Tess’ recent post.

I share your enthusiasm for Jamie Oliver and Joe Cross. Joe is also very cute in person as well. He was in the Bay Area for the screening of his film last year.

I am passionate about documentaries as well and would recommend some food ones, but I think you are managing to find them all. The Real Dirt on Farmer John is interesting if that isn’t in your queue.
    - Wendy

• Late Bloomer says:

Thank you for stopping by, Wendy! I have not seen The Real Dirt on Farmer John yet. Can’t wait to check it out! Just when I had seen them all…. :-D

8. Michelle: This might sound crazy, but a couple months ago I tried to see if I could go two weeks only eating fruits. (Laugh out loud) My boss told me that he was going to be coming to my funeral in two weeks, but I tried anyways and well, it did not go so good. I lasted about three days and could not take it anymore.
    Anyhow, I do not think that it is even possible to live off eating fruit.

Just my two cents . . . the post made me think about my failed experiment.

Nice site. The design looks good!

Best wishes,
    William Veasley

• Late Bloomer says:

Thanks, William! I love the name of your site: Be Weird and Be Different! Yay!

I think if I ate only fruit, I may be tempted to start gnawing off my arm! hahaha!!! Well…At least you tried something Different, and now you have a great conversation piece! :-)

Good luck with your brand new blog!

Trackbacks

1. [...] few weeks ago a friend of mine threw down a 45-day vegan challenge in support of Food Revolution Day. I was a little late to the party; having a kid turning 9 and having a party for him, my oldest son [...]